Our Charity Partner
We are proud and passionate supporters of ‘Simon Says‘, a child bereavement support charity in Hampshire who do incredible and invaluable work in our communities.
‘Simon Says’ started when Simon Stanley, a 37 year old teacher from Southampton, died from cancer. His wife Sally found there was no bereavement support locally for their two small children. Their experiences led to the establishment of the charity that is here today.
Their research has shown that the Stanley’s experience is not unique and there is a wider need to provide resources and information to children and parents, and to those working with children eg: teachers, health professionals.
The need for support in Hampshire is astonishing. It is estimated that each year, around 400 parents die in the county, leaving around 690 dependent children (aged 0-17). Overall it is estimated that 4370* children and young people (5-16 years) in Hampshire have been bereaved of a parent or sibling at some point in their childhood (*source: childhoodbereavementnetwork.org.uk).
The charity became registered in 2001 and a formal launch took place on March 25th 2002.
How will Active Me 360 support 'Simon Says'?
We are proud to be supporting ‘Simon Says’ and the incredible work they do, and are committed to a sustainable partnership with them. From the moment we engaged with their team it was clear there was a shared passion and ethos, underpinned by a belief that more can be achieved together. At Active Me 360 we believe ‘people’s physical, mental and social wellbeing can be supported and enhanced using the power of physical activity, sport and education’, it is this mission and belief that will provide the foundations of our support and partnership.Our support will include;
- Events & Fundraising – We will run special fundraising events throughout the year to raise money in support of the invaluable services the charity provides.
- Annual 360 Challenge – Our Active Me 360 team will take part in an annual ‘360 Challenge’ to raise money. In 2020 our team and some partners will be running the ‘Great South Run’ on behalf of ‘Simon Says’. Details of how to donate to this challenge will be announced soon!
- Volunteering – Our Active Me 360 team will be volunteering to support various ‘Simon Says’ events throughout the year.
- Targeted Physical Activity & Sport Programmes – As part of our commitment to a sustainable partnership we will be launching targeted sessions at key Hampshire locations, using the power of physical activity, sport and education to support the families the charity engages.
- Services in kind – We have committed a number of free to access places for children the charity engages at our Active Holiday Camps.
- Awareness & Engagement – We will be supporting ‘Simon Says’ in increasing their school engagement to raise awareness of the excellent support services they offer, from writing and implementing a ‘Bereavement Policy’ to workshops for children, and training for staff.
If you would like to find out more about how we will be supporting ‘Simon Says’, or would like to get involved in supporting ‘Simon Says’ with us, we would love to hear from you.
Alternatively, if you believe ‘Simon Says’ could support you please get in touch with us and we will put you in touch with their team.