– Blog written by Eastleigh FC ladies captain and ActiveMe 360 Team Leader, Chelsea Bates
Football has been considered a male-dominated sport for many years, but women are increasingly making their presence felt in the industry. From players and coaches to top level executives, women are breaking down barriers and proving that they have what it takes to succeed in football. This blog will cover some top tips that can be considered helpful as a female playing in a male dominated sport.
Women’s football has been growing in popularity over the past few years. Women are making more of an impact in football and the recent success of the women’s euros has begun to pave the way for young girls, providing them with more opportunities and access to play football.
Top tips to kick the stereotype:
1. Strong mental attitude: In male dominated sports, it can be easy to feel intimidated or feel like you don’t belong. Developing a strong mental attitude that focuses on your strengths and skills can help you feel more confident.
2. Surround yourself with supportive people: Having supportive people around you such as friends, family and teammates can make a big difference, it can help you feel more motivated. Having a strong support network really helps to keep you going when you are having down days or need that boost of confidence.
3. Female role model: Have a female footballer that you inspire to be. Seeing other women who have succeeded is empowering and inspiring and can help you see what is possible. It gives you are purpose and a sense of direction.
4. Be resilient: Football can be a tough. It’s a physically demanding sport, and you may face setbacks and challenges along the way. It’s important to be resilient and bounce back from setbacks. Use each challenge as an opportunity to learn and grow as a player.
5. Be confident: The most important thing is to believe in yourself and your abilities. Don’t let anyone else’s opinions or stereotypes about gender hold you back. Always believe you can succeed and work hard to make it happen.
Remember your gender should not limit your ability to succeed in any sport. With hard work and determination and support you can excel in any sport.
Are you interested in kicking the stereotype? Find out more information about our 360 Football community sessions by clicking here.