It’s the time of year where schools are reviewing their budgets and providers ahead of the new academic year. Many schools might think continuing with the same provider as last year, and the year before, and the year before that, just makes sense. You’ve always used them, and they’ve always been good enough. But is that enough of a reason to continue your contract?
Unfortunately, there are sports companies currently operating in Hampshire who are not compliant or meeting minimum standards which could be putting you at risk, without you even realising.
We’re not saying this to scare you, but working in this industry we have a duty of care to make sure all the schools we do and don’t work with, are aware of what they should be considering when working with PE & school sport providers.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Ensure all their staff have valid and in date Enhanced DBS, Safeguarding and First Aid certificates. Have you seen evidence?
- Ensure all staff meet national minimum operating standards, and provide regular ongoing CPD. If they don’t, what are their plans to rectify this?
- Ensure any staff under the age of 18 are not working independently with children. If your provider work with apprentices or those on work experience then great! But they still need to ensure they have someone over the age of 18 with them at all times.
- Ensure safer recruitment policies are upheld at all times.
- Check the services they provide meets the DfE criteria for the PE and School Sport Premium.
It goes without saying that the points above should be a minimum, and it’s incredibly important you work with a provider that meets these standards, as well as aligning to your school values. You can read more about these minimum standards by visiting the CIMSPA website.
Whilst reviewing your provision why not complete a PE Scorecard at primaryschoolpescorecard.co.uk? This will help you benchmark where you are to ensure you maximise the next two years of PE and School Sport funding.
If you’re exploring new providers then we would love you to consider ActiveMe 360! We’ve broken down everything you need to know in this handy infographic you can download, to ensure you can make an informed decision about your provision for next year.